Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) will reign in the 21st annual conference of The Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC) at Lancaster University on 28-30 March 2017.
This year’s theme, ‘Global Goals: Local Action,’ recognises the critical role that universities and colleges have to play in confronting climate change and realising the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs/Global Goals) on a local level within their communities.
This three-day event will bring together delegates from all areas – environmental management, estates and facilities, finance and procurement as well as curriculum leaders and students – from further and higher education sector.
The programme features several keynotes and plenary sessions; six interactive workshop sessions, amounting to over 30 workshops; facilitated networking events; the Conference Dinner and the Exhibition.
“The SDGs are the world’s new to-do list and this conference will inspire and empower universities and colleges to take the step-change needed,” says Iain Patton (CEO EAUC) on the conference website. “Our students and their learning are instrumental in delivering the Global Goals and shaping all our futures. Students have the commitment and energy, so it’s up to us in the lecture room and on the campus to ensure they leave our institutions with the knowledge and skills they need to become effective agents of global understanding and local action.”
Pre-conference day | 28 March
The pre-conference day (28 March), which starts noon, comprises workshops and socials.
The pre-conference workshops are: ‘Launching the EAUC Emerging Sustainability Leaders Programme’; and ‘The Rocky Road to Carbon Reduction – Lancaster’s Carbon Management Plan.’ One more workshop is to be confirmed.
The socials are the pre-conference social and the social of the National Union of Students (NUS).
Day 1 | 29 March
Day 1 will comprise welcome speeches, a keynote session, four workshop sessions (24 workshops), four pod sessions, the Exhibition and the Conference Dinner (sponsored by Carbon Credentials).
Welcome speeches by:
- Iain Patton, Conference Chair and EAUC CEO)
- Professor Andrew Atherton, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Lancaster University
- Paul Lewis, Chief Operating Officer, Carbon Credentials (Headline Sponsor)
The first day’s keynote speaker will be announced shortly.
The four workshop sessions are as follows:
Workshop Session 1:
- Towards a healthy and sustainable university: maximising synergy and co-benefits
- Developing mass sustainability engagement programmes for staff and students
- The carbon journey – embedding sustainability into all second year student
- How can we engage our students in city/area transformation?
- The Loughborough Cup – another inspiring winner
- The renewably-powered, fossil-free campuses of the future
Workshop Session 2:
- Swell (sustainability & wellbeing) staff and student engagement programme
- Innovating locally, transforming globally: education for sustainable development at Abertay
- Incorporating the Sustainable Development Goals into institutional business decision-making
- Measuring sustainable development research in your institution
- Passivhaus – accepting the challenge
- Encouraging emergence (instead of chasing the behaviour change golden bullet)
Workshop Session 3:
- The F Word(s): Feet; Fridges; Food; Fingers; Free
- The sustainable university summit – pursuing quality education with students as partners
- Telling the world – sustainability reporting on a crowd sourced platform
- Exodus – dealing with what’s left behind
- Achieving excellence in a sustainable university refurbishment
- (one workshop to be confirmed)
Workshop Session 4:
- Edible campus enterprise
- Creating the university of the future: NTU and the global goals
- Local actions – what policies will have the greatest impact?
- Space to think
- Why you should cry over spilt milk
- The long road to carbon neutrality
Day 2 | 30 March
Day 2 will comprise the EAUC AGM, two keynote sessions, International Green Gown Awards Ceremony, two workshop sessions (12 workshops) and two pod sessions.
The two keynotes will be delivered by:
- Maria Adebowale-Schwarte (Director, Living Space Project and Clore Social Leadership Environment Fellow) and Julie Hirigoyen (CEO, UK Green Building Council)
- Mary Creagh MP (Chair of the UK Environmental Audit Select Committee)
Mary Creagh MP will present the awards in the International Green Gown Awards Ceremony.
The two workshop sessions are as follows:
Workshop Session 5:
- Communicating Sustainability Using Multimedia (video clips, films and images)
- Measuring Sustainability Literacy
- Reporting with Purpose: Being distinctive, strategic and relevant in your sustainability reporting
- A New Fairtrade Universities and Colleges Standard
- Back to Basics – Are you Legally Compliant?
- The World’s Most Sustainable University 2015: Energy
Workshop Session 6:
- Lessons from 10 Years of Behaviour Change
- Creating a Green Business Cluster
- ‘Braking’ the Habit of a Lifetime – The Incredible Journey
- Taking the Hard Road – Making a Freecycling App from Scratch
- Creating a Climate for Change
- (One workshop to be confirmed)
The EAUC is a not-for-profit charity with a membership of over 200 universities and colleges, advancing sustainability in the UK tertiary education sector.
Note: Logos from respective websites. Text is based on the content on http://www.eaucconference.org.uk
EAUC Conference 2017 website http://www.eaucconference.org.uk/ | #EAUCconf17
EAUC Conference 2017 | Registration http://www.eaucconference.org.uk/registration
EAUC Conference 2017 | Programme http://media.wix.com/ugd/4f82e3_21a3122cfa2f4800a669a6406c9d6141.pdf
International Green Gown Awards Ceremony http://www.greengownawards.org/events/international_green_gown_awards_ceremony
The Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC) http://www.eauc.org.uk/
- UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Academy https://courses.sdgacademy.org/ | @SDG_Academy
- The Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) http://www.unsdsn.org/ | @UNSDSN
New websites of the Sustainable University Experiment
Sustainability through Science & Research COMMUNICATION (Knowledge journalism)
Sustainability Communication website | https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/
- Press articles https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/press-article/
- News posts https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/news-post/
- Feature posts https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/feature-post/
Sustainability Education and Engagement through STORYTELLING
Sustainability Storytelling website | https://sustystory.wordpress.com/
- Letters (e.g. #AlienLETTER) https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/letter/
- Stories https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/story/
- Interviews https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/interview/
- Postcards https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/postcard/
From Sustainable University News website | #SUnews
Newcastle Conf | Public engagement as a promoter of policymakers’ uptake of sustainability research findings? https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/newcastle-conf-public-engagement-as-a-promoter-of-policymakers-uptake-of-sustainability-research-findings/
Education for Sustainability (EfS) | Pioneering LSBU course celebrates 21st anniversary https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2017/02/09/education-for-sustainability-efs-pioneering-lsbu-course-celebrates-21st-anniversary/
Limits to growth, audacity of hope and moral imagination reign at CUSP Reinventing Prosperity event in London https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/limits-to-growth-audacity-of-hope-and-moral-imagination-reign-at-cusp-reinventing-prosperity-event-in-london/
Green Gown Awards 2016 | UWE, Royal Agricultural and Salford shine; Leadership Award to Prof Longhurst https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/green-gown-awards-2016-uwe-royal-agricultural-and-salford-shine-leadership-award-to-prof-longhurst/
Green Gown Awards 2015 | Wales TSD, Lancaster, Nottingham and Brighton reign high; Leadership Award to Dr Jane Davidson https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2015/11/27/green-gown-awards-2015-wales-tsd-lancaster-nottingham-and-brighton-reign-high-leadership-award-to-dr-jane-davidson/
Green Gown Awards 2014 | Leadership award to Professor Bailey; three awards to Plymouth https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2014/11/10/green-gown-awards-2014-leadership-award-to-professor-bailey-three-awards-to-plymouth/
Green Gown Awards 2013 – Winners and Highly Commended https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/green-gown-awards-2013-winners-and-highly-commended-2/
Universities have an obligation to empower students to deal with climate change, says Porritt at LSBU https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/universities-have-an-obligation-to-empower-graduates-to-deal-with-climate-change-says-porritt-at-lsbu/
EAUC-UNEP Agreement | UK higher education to enrich North-South collaboration on developing sustainable graduates https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/eauc-unep-agreement-uk-higher-education-to-enrich-north-south-collaboration-on-developing-sustainable-graduates/
Gloucestershire holds event on Student Experience with EfS – with Plymouth, UEA & Wales TSD as guests https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2015/06/18/gloucestershire-holds-event-on-student-experience-with-efs-with-plymouth-uea-wales-tsd-as-guests/
Formally launched! QAA-HEA ESD Guidance for UK higher education providers https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/formally-launched-qaa-hea-esd-guidance-for-uk-higher-education-providers/
HEFCE wants Sustainable Development (SD) to be central to HE, says new SD framework will influence future funding https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/hefce-wants-sustainable-development-sd-to-be-central-to-he-says-new-sd-framework-will-influence-future-funding/
From Sustainable University Library | #LibrarySU
A university aspiring to do better in SUSTAINABILITY? The SUS (Sustainable University Support) Model as a helping hand? https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/university-aspiring-do-better-sustainability-sus-hand-jayawardena
Green Gown Awards | An international celebration of sustainability in tertiary education https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/green-gown-awards-international-asitha
Sustainability Engagement | Seven INNOVATION secrets discovered through my Sustainable University experiment https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sustainability-engagement-seven-innovation-secrets-my-jayawardena
HExit | Turning Brexit into a global leadership opportunity for UK higher education https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hexit-turning-brexit-global-leadership-opportunity-uk-jayawardena
Sustainability in UK higher education | Ten great moments in 2014 https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sustainability-uk-higher-education-ten-great-moments-2014-asitha
Ten ways to supplement QAA-HEA Guidance on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)? Some food for thought http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20141015094227-101066234-ten-ways-to-supplement-qaa-hea-guidance-on-education-for-sustainable-development-esd-some-food-for-thought
A green tale of four UK universities | HEA Green Academy workshops – Worcester, Canterbury Christ Church, Bristol and Nottingham https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140718111751-101066234-a-green-tale-of-four-uk-universities-hea-green-academy-workshops-worcester-canterbury-christ-church-bristol-and-nottingham
UNEP Greening Universities Toolkit | A global resource for advancing green and sustainable campuses http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140831181150-101066234-unep-greening-universities-toolkit-a-global-resource-for-advancing-green-and-sustainable-campuses
The Sustainable University: Progress and prospects | Handbook to ‘the University of the Future’ http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20141002095117-101066234-the-sustainable-university-progress-and-prospects-handbook-to-the-university-of-the-future
Why universities should lead their wider communities’ sustainability endeavours | Three reasons https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140606053309-101066234-why-universities-should-lead-their-wider-communities-sustainability-endeavours-three-reasons
A visual celebration of good practice in sustainability | 40 photos from 18 UK universities http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140709082957-101066234-a-visual-celebration-of-good-practice-in-sustainability-40-photos-from-18-uk-universities
The Sustainable University (SU) One-stop Shop | http://www.sustainableuni.kk5.org/
The Sustainable University Support (SUS) Model https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/university-aspiring-do-better-sustainability-sus-hand-jayawardena
LinkedIn Group | SUSTAINABILITY | Education, Research & Engagement https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8102240/profile
Twitter | https://twitter.com/sustainableuni1 | #SustySTORY #SustyCOMM #SUSmodel #SUnews #AlienLETTER #GreenSTARS
Asitha on LinkedIn | http://uk.linkedin.com/in/asithaj/