The Sustainability Conference 2017 of the Institution of Structural Engineers, titled ‘Climate Change: Adaption and Mitigation’, will take place in London (47-58 Bastwick Street, London, EC1V 3PS) on 13 July 2017 from 09:30 to 17:00.
Sponsored by Kingspan, the event will explore the role of the structural engineer in adapting to and mitigating the effects of global warming and climate change.
It will focus on a number of key questions, including:
- What is the future for the built environment industry in the context of climate change?
- What are the challenges that structural engineers will face and what are the solutions?
- How to achieve a balance between carbon ‘neutral’ building and the rising need for development?
- How can structural engineers help the industry meet 2020 climate and energy targets?
The programme comprises:
- Welcome and Introduction by Conference Chair, Faith Wainwright MBE (Senior Vice-President and Director at Arup)
- Two keynote speeches
- Six sessions, which include four case studies
- An open forum | Is the industry ready for the future? What do we need to do prepare?
- Closing remarks by Conference Chair
- Keith Clarke CBE (Chair of the Forum for the Future) | We have the science, what about engineering?
- Bill Gething (Professor of Architecture at University of the West of England UWE Bristol): Climate Science for the Built Environment: what this means for the structural engineering sector
- Session 1: Jonathon Hines (Managing Director at Architype) and Chris Pembridge (Director at WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff)
PassivHaus Design – Case Study on PassivHaus Schools project: implications for structural engineers
- Session 2: Dr Flavie Lowres (Associate Director at Building Research Establishment BRE)
Case Study 1: Embodied carbon measurement: what about it?
- Session 3: Amie Shuttleworth (Global Head of Sustainability at Cundall)
Circular economy and the role of structural engineers
- Session 4: Tim Snelson (Associate Director at ARUP)
Case study 2: Believe in Better building at Sky Campus, Hounslow
- Session 5: Angela Bejarano (BArch, MSc, LEED AP, eTool facilitator and Architectural Designer at Mountford Pigott LLP)
Case study 3: How eTool can be used by structural engineers to review embodied carbon and life cycle impacts at different design stages.
- Session 6: Kirsten Henson (Director of KLH Sustainability Ltd)
Balancing Lifecycle Carbon: East Wick and Sweetwater Case Study
Note: This post is based on the content of the conference web page (see below for the link). The graphic of this post is also created using logos and graphics from the conference page.
Conference webpage https://www.istructe.org/sustainability-conference
The Institution of Structural Engineers | Sustainability https://www.istructe.org/resources-centre/technical-topic-areas/sustainability
Kingspan | Sustainability http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk/Sustainability.aspx
Civil and Structural Engineering | PRESS ARTICLES (including sustainability-related) with experts as resource persons https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/civil-structural-engineering-press-articles-including-jayawardena
Embedding sustainability in Civil Engineering curriculum | Some bricks for thought http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140819151549-101066234-embedding-sustainability-in-civil-engineering-curriculum-some-bricks-for-thought
Humans, save yourselves from climate change ~ Mother Nature https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/humans-save-yourselves-from-climate-change-mother-asitha-jayawardena
CLIMATE CHANGE | Will we change? Yes, we will, says Al Gore https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/climate-change-we-yes-says-al-gore-asitha-jayawardena
Wave Hypothesis for Sustainability Engagement
Wave Hypothesis for SUSTAINABILITY Engagement across boundaries – illustrated with examples https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wave-hypothesis-sustainability-engagement-across-asitha-jayawardena
New websites of the Sustainable University Experiment
Facilitation of Interdisciplinarity for Sustainability Education and Research
Interdisciplinary Library for Sustainability https://idls.wordpress.com/about/ (under construction)
Sustainability Education and Engagement through STORYTELLING
Sustainability Storytelling website | https://sustystory.wordpress.com/
- Letters (e.g. #AlienLETTER) https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/letter/
- Stories https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/story/
- Postcards https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/postcard/
- Interviews https://sustystory.wordpress.com/category/interview/
Sustainability through Science & Research COMMUNICATION (Knowledge journalism)
Sustainability Communication website | https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/
- Press articles https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/press-article/
- News posts https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/news-post/
- Feature posts https://sustycomm.wordpress.com/category/feature-post/
Press Articles based on:
- Research publications https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sustainability-engagement-examples-press-articles-asitha-jayawardena
- Interviews with academics and professionals https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/press-articles-based-interviews-academics-engagement-jayawardena
- Public lectures by academics and professionals https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/press-articles-based-public-lectures-academics-asitha-jayawardena
- Conferences & seminars https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/press-articles-based-conferences-seminars-engagement-jayawardena
From The Sustainable University News website
Newcastle Conf | Public engagement as a promoter of policymakers’ uptake of sustainability research findings? https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/newcastle-conf-public-engagement-as-a-promoter-of-policymakers-uptake-of-sustainability-research-findings/
Ashden Conference 2017 | International Winners showcase work on Scaling Clean Energy innovation https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2017/06/14/ashden-conference-2017-international-winners-showcase-work-on-scaling-clean-energy-innovation/
Complexity, Interdisciplinarity and Sustainable Prosperity shine at Food-Energy-Water-Environment Nexus Conference 2015 https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2015/12/07/complexity-interdisciplinarity-and-sustainable-prosperity-shine-at-food-energy-water-environment-nexus-conference-2015/
Limits to growth, audacity of hope and moral imagination reign at CUSP Reinventing Prosperity event in London https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/limits-to-growth-audacity-of-hope-and-moral-imagination-reign-at-cusp-reinventing-prosperity-event-in-london/
From The Sustainable University Library
What is a system? From flu via oil to recession… https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-system-from-flu-via-oil-recession-asitha-jayawardena
LSBU MSc in Education for Sustainability | How it enriched my perspective http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140507110247-101066234-lsbu-msc-in-education-for-sustainability-how-it-enriched-my-perspective
UCLan’s CSD | Advancing Sustainable Development through Architecture, Construction and Environment http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140906165944-101066234-uclan-s-csd-advancing-sustainable-development-through-architecture-construction-and-environment
STORY | The talking elephant and the SYSTEMS light | A modern folk tale (with two morals) https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/talking-elephant-systems-light-modern-folk-tale-two-jayawardena
Nottingham’s Energy Technology Building | Building the way for a low carbon economy http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140830061246-101066234-nottingham-s-energy-technology-building-building-the-way-for-a-low-carbon-economy
STORY | A game of plates at ‘Growth vs. Earth’ Café | Who depends on whom? http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140407045738-101066234-a-game-of-plates-at-growth-vs-earth-caf%C3%A9-who-depends-on-whom
Newcastle Science Central | University-City Council partnership bringing together science, business and sustainable living http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140909120325-101066234-newcastle-science-central-university-city-council-partnership-bringing-together-science-business-and-sustainable-living
Sustainability Engagement | Seven INNOVATION secrets discovered through my Sustainable University experiment https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sustainability-engagement-seven-innovation-secrets-my-jayawardena
Business case for sustainability | What CEOs of Unilever, M&S and TUI say https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/business-case-sustainability-what-ceos-unilever-ms-tui-jayawardena
Making sense of sustainability (or sustainable development) | A look at seven definitions http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140414095133-101066234-making-sense-of-sustainability-or-sustainable-development-a-look-at-seven-definitions
The Sustainable University (SU) One-stop Shop | http://www.sustainableuni.kk5.org/
Wave Hypothesis for SUSTAINABILITY Engagement across boundaries https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wave-hypothesis-sustainability-engagement-across-asitha-jayawardena
The Sustainable University Support (SUS) Model https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/university-aspiring-do-better-sustainability-sus-hand-jayawardena
LinkedIn Group | SUSTAINABILITY | Education, Research & Engagement https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8102240/profile
Twitter @SustainableUni1 | #SustyEngWAVE #SustySTORY #SustyCOMM #SUpoetry #SUquotes #SUnews #SUSmodel