The Sustainable University One-stop Shop (SUOSS) experiment (http://www.sustainableuni.kk5.org) celebrated its fourth anniversary on 5 January 2015. This unfunded, zero-cost, self-driven experiment advances Sustainability in Higher Education and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) worldwide.
42,500 visits in four years | News website attracts 6000 visits from 130 countries in the past year
In the last four years, the SUOSS has achieved 42,500 visits. The Sustainable University (SU) News website, one of its satellites, has particularly shown a strong global appeal in the past year, registering nearly 6,000 visits from over 130 countries (as shown on the ClustrMap on the side bar of https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/).
The SUOSS has achieved recognition, globally as well as locally:
- Bright Ideas Award: A First Prize in the Bright Ideas Contest 2012 of the WestFocus University Collaboration http://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate-course/sustainability-environmental-change-msc/student-achievements.html
- Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) website: Appears as a resource on the HEFCE website http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/lgm/susdevresources/strategy/
- The Sustainable University: Progress and prospects: Appears under ‘Selected websites’ in this 2013 book http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415627740/#description (page 318)
- Routledge Sustainability Hub: A recommended ESD website on this hub (blogs and websites page) http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/textbooks/sustainability/education.php
- UNEP Greening Universities Toolkit: One of the 16 widely known and internationally relevant online tools and resources in this toolkit published by United Nations Environment Programme UNEP http://www.unep.org/Training/docs/Greening_University_Toolkit.pdf (page 61)
A central platform with a suite of seven satellite websites | Developed using free online resources
This one-stop shop, developed by Asitha Jayawardena (http://uk.linkedin.com/in/asithaj/) using free website builders and social media, comprises:
- A central platform http://www.sustainableuni.kk5.org (the original website launched in 2011)
- Seven satellite websites (added from time to time since then):
- News & Info https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/
- Research http://suresearch1.wordpress.com/
- Good Practice http://sugoodpractice.wordpress.com/
- Quotes http://suquotesfacts.wordpress.com/
- Blog http://su-notes.blogspot.co.uk/
- Diary http://esddiary.wordpress.com/
- Micro-blog (Twitter) http://twitter.com/#!/sustainableuni1
Asitha’s Klout score, which reflects his online influence, remains around 50 (http://klout.com/sustainableuni1).
Extensions: An ESD Group on LinkedIn, a Sustainable University Model and ‘2015 | Year of the Sustainable University’
Building on the SUOSS, Asitha has launched three other initiatives:
- LinkedIn Group | SEE ESD @ PU (Sustainability, Education & Engagement | ESD at Planetshire University) | nearly 100 members http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sustainability-Education-Engagement-ESD-Planetshire-8102240
- The Planetshire University model (v3) | Sustainability in the curriculum as an enhancer of Engagement, Quality and Reputation (an R&D project proposal for universities) https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/proposal/
- ‘2015 | Year of the Sustainable University’ initiative (SU2015) | An initiative with four goals related to ESD within and beyond universities, namely Learning, Communication, Inspiration and Networking http://su2015hub.wordpress.com/
Note: Planetshire University (PU) is a hypothetical UK university.
Moreover, since April 2014, he has published 40 LinkedIn posts on ESD and Sustainability in Higher Education https://www.linkedin.com/today/posts/asithaj.
With four years of experience, self-learning and networking, Asitha seeks a host university for his Planetshire University model, which proposes to use sustainability in the curriculum as an opportunity for enhancing stakeholder engagement, quality of course programmes and institutional reputation.
If you are interested in this experiment or the PU Model, please feel free to contact him on email@example.com, Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/sustainableuni1 @sustainableuni1) or LinkedIn (http://uk.linkedin.com/in/asithaj/).
The Sustainable University One-stop Shop | www.sustainableuni.kk5.org
Its satellite websites: News & Info www.sunewsinfo.wordpress.com | Research www.suresearch1.wordpress.com | Good Practice www.sugoodpractice.wordpress.com | Quotes www.suquotesfacts.wordpress.com | Blog www.su-notes.blogspot.co.uk | Reflective Diary www.esddiary.wordpress.com | Twitter www.twitter.com/sustainableuni1
2015 | Year of the Sustainable University (SU2015) | http://su2015hub.wordpress.com/
Project PROPOSAL for universities | The Planetshire University model (v3) | Sustainability in the curriculum as an enhancer of Engagement, Quality and Reputation https://sunewsinfo.wordpress.com/proposal/
LinkedIn PROFILE | http://uk.linkedin.com/in/asithaj/
LinkedIn POSTS | Sustainability in Higher Education & ESD https://www.linkedin.com/today/posts/asithaj
LinkedIn GROUP | Sustainability, Education and Engagement | ESD at Planetshire University http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Sustainability-Education-Engagement-ESD-Planetshire-8102240
Profile & Portfolio | Asitha Jayawardena | Strengths, Accomplishments & Recognition http://issuu.com/aij3/docs/profile-asitha
Online Shelf | Examples of past work (PDFs, booklets, press articles, logos, etc) http://issuu.com/aij3