Papers are invited for the forthcoming conference Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) London: Supporting employability, society and the environment: a curriculum for sustainability, which will be held at London South Bank University on 10 June 2014. This will be the first Annual Conference of the London Regional Centre of Expertise (RCE) on ESD, organised in partnership with 4 All of Us, a social enterprise event organization.
Bringing together educationalists, NGOs and employers, the conference aims to develop a London wide community of practice, with a view of inspiring and engaging the participants in promoting a sustainable future for all. It will comprise keynotes, panel Q&A, paper presentations, industry sessions, workshops and networking opportunities.
Three speakers have already confirmed attendance:
- Jane Davidson, Director INSPIRE (Institute for Sustainability Practice, Innovation and Resource Effectiveness), University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- Professor Stephen Sterling, Head of Education for Sustainable Development, Plymouth University
- Professor Daniella Tilbury, Director (Sustainability), University of Gloucestershire, and Chair UNESCO Expert Group on UN Decade in ESD
Two types of papers are welcome for submission:
- Shared practice papers, which will outline and reflect on examples of course development and practice in individual subject areas or across disciplines
- Issue based papers, which will examine a key issue of our times (e.g. climate change, war and conflict, social justice) in relation sustainable development and critically examine the implications for course development and curriculum
Requirements and key dates:
- Abstracts (maximum 250 words) by 15 January 2014
- Final draft (maximum 3500 words) by 15 April 2014
Papers will be eligible for consideration for a specialist edition of the journal Local Economy.
The London RCE on ESD is part of the UN University’s global RCE network, comprising 117 worldwide (as in November 2013).
ESD London Conference website http://www.esdlondon.co.uk/
UN University website: ESD page http://www.ias.unu.edu/sub_page.aspx?catID=108&ddlID=54 | Regional Centres of Expertise (RCEs) http://www.ias.unu.edu/sub_page.aspx?catID=1849&ddlID=183
4 All of Us: http://www.4allofus.org.uk/
Local Economy journal http://www.uk.sagepub.com/journals/Journal202011
ESD-related posts on the satellite websites of the Sustainable University One-stop Shop
Blog/ reflective diary
EDUCATION pathway to a Sustainable University (Part 1): curriculum content and delivery
Opportunities for integrating sustainability across curricula (Part 2 of EDUCATION pathway to a Sustainable University)
University of Planetshire approach to integrating sustainability across the curriculum (Part 3 of EDUCATION pathway to a Sustainable University)
Outputs of the University of Planetshire Approach to integrating sustainability across the curriculum (Part 4 of EDUCATION pathway to a Sustainable University)
The starting point of our sustainability crisis?
Who depends on whom? A game of plates
QAA/HEA ESD Guidance Document for UK higher education goes under consultation
HEA-NUS Report 2013: Student attitudes towards and skills for sustainable development
New website: The Guide to Quality and Education for Sustainability in Higher Education
CONFERENCE: Quality Assurance, Enhancement and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD): Creating a Framework for Dialogue
Gloucestershire workshop on Education for Sustainability in Higher Education
Delivering ESD and graduate attributes through Hybrid Problem-Based Learning
New TOOLKIT: Problem-Based Learning: A Case Study of Sustainability Education